Wednesday, September 15, 2010

In Case You Couldn't Tell...

I love mid-century modern.  In fact, I love almost everything from the Fifties and Sixties but modern style really rocks my world. I sometimes lose the plot of Mad Men because I'm too distracted eyeing the cool stuff in the background. And then Joan comes on screen and my attention snaps back to the... plot.


Um, where was I? Oh yeah.  When Don put on his sunglasses after coming out of the NYAC last episode, all I could think was "Where can I find a pair of vintage Ray Bans like those? (If I'm not mistaken, Bausch and Lomb is one of the firm's clients).


So what makes something "modern"?  You should look for clean, sleek lines and  geometric patterns. One of  the more pervasive geometric patterns was the starburst, which reflects the nuclear-infused zeitgeist of the "modern" era.  You can find it everywhere, from china to wall clocks to textiles. You can even find it in the logo of Dr. Pepper from the Sixties.


I find myself drawn to the simplicity of modern design. Perhaps because I tend to live amongst clutter, I believe that clean lines means a clean house or maybe these things just remind me of growing up in the Sixties. Whatever the reason, I gravitate more and more to modernism.

No comments:

Post a Comment